Sunday, May 9, 2010

You know you're a mother when...

Your child is vomiting and you place your hands under their mouth instinctively while somehow stifling your own gag reflex.

Your baby is constipated after starting solids so you use your own pinky to help loosen their stool.

You clean up stool deposits and urine puddles off of your precious floor during potty training disasters and manage not to pull out all of your hair.

You fish out floating stools during a bath incident. Enough said.

(I know you other moms have done some variation of these examples so don't go "eeewwww" at me, go "eewwww" at yourself.)

You carry kitchen scissors in your purse so you can cut up food for your kids at a moment's notice.

You find yourself at the end of the day realizing you haven't had one proper sit down meal.

You find yourself doing the baby sway while in line even when you don't have a baby on you.

You may not know every world leader, but you could name every character on nick jr and disney.

You can read the same book or sing the same song 20 times in a row and not want to hurt yourself.

You can transform into the incredible hulk when someone dare tries to hurt your child....there is no wrath greater than a mama in protect and defend mode.

And to my own mom.....

You gave up a promising career in pharmacy to touch other people's dirty clothes so that I could have the life you wanted for me.

You would spend what little free time you had to make me the food I loved, even though I happened to love very time intensive foods.

You find such joy in seeing me stay at home with my kids because you never got to be a part of my childhood.

You still make sure that I eat first even though I'm all grown.

You swallow all the hurt I caused and still cause because of our vast generational, cultural, and language differences.

So to my mom and all the moms out there who do all these things and countless more, have a great mother's day and enjoy some much deserved love and gratitude. I know I am. This definitely makes up for all the feces I have touched over the years.


4 comments:

  1. oh sue! loved this post! u have a way of saying it all, i love sharing our children's excrement stories with you. u r a wonderful mommy! happy mom's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so well said <3

    and. i love that you're so brown in that drawing. we can match! and i love that last "finish the sentence" worksheet...

    happy mother's day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sue. I was especially touched by your list of thanks to your mom. (just started reading your blog!) :)

    ReplyDelete