Thursday, April 15, 2010

I got nothing to say

I use my words. I enjoy dialoguing with people. I get energized by verbal banter. Words are important to me. Words are my tool of choice. But there are so many moments in my day where I am rendered speechless. Literally speechless. And I have no words. These are some of the moments from this week where words have failed me.

Youngest child decided to fight us about brushing her teeth. After a firm reprimand, we put her in front of the sink and proceeded to get her toothbrush ready. Meanwhile, she is throwing one of her academy award winning tantrums. But as she is wailing, she happens to catch a glimpse of herself in the mirror and pauses to test out a few different pouts and ugly crying faces. After she finds just the right tantrum face, she continues on with her wailing. Speechless.


Sidepoint: Here are some of her faces. We like to take pictures of our kids when they are whining or crying.We like to show them what they look like when they are behaving that way. We also relish the idea of one day presenting them with an album of these pictures when they have their own children. 

Youngest child was watching a barbie ballet video. All of a sudden, she bursts out laughing. Not a giggle, but a full out, gut busting laugh. Out of curiosity, I ask her why she is laughing. She points to one of the characters on the screen and says, "Look at her outfit."  Wonderful. I am raising a future "mean girl." Speechless.

Youngest child went to oldest child's baseball practice. The coaches and players ended the practice with a group huddle, placing their arms in the middle for a team cheer. She walks straight into that huddle on the field and sticks her chubby hand right in....a sea of boys and one pink dress. Obviously, uninvited is a concept she finds unacceptable for herself. Speechless.

Youngest child wraps her arms around me tight as I'm tucking her in, and looks me straight in the eye and says, "I really really love you mama." Speechless. Sometimes, just sometimes, speechless moments are awesome.

4 comments:

  1. i love that idea of pictures and the photo album for the future...what a great baby shower gift for when they have their first child! selah...what a character! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww! Hilarious and cute at the same time! One of my speechless moments: 2-yr-old comes in bare-bottomed and says, "Momma, I went poo poo in my underwear and I dumped it in the toilet and put my underwear and pants in the hamper." Uh... what?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so amazing. i need to remember all of this for when i have children....
    oh selah. she's so interesting.. your life seems to never be boring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And, have your parents or in-laws ever pulled out the, "You were just...like...that."?

    Lovely posts! Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete