Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Importance of heels

It was completely impractical. Downright ridiculous. But I didn't care. I just had to do it. My kids were playing outside. It was a sunny spring day. And I was running. Running after the baseball. Running after my kids. Running in and out of the house for snacks, drinks, tissues. And I was running.....in my high heels.

Now, I had a choice. I have plenty of running shoes. I have flats. I have flip flops. And dare I admit it, I even have uggs (which I consider to be the equivalent of "mom jeans" for feet). I have many other shoes that would have been appropriate for playing outside with the kids. But I chose to wear my high heels. I was having one of those moments in the life of a stay at home mom. I had spent all day tending to their needs, their wants, their desires. I could feel myself slipping into that mom. That mom that loses her voice in the midst of theirs. That mom that forgets that motherhood is a huge and God given calling of my life, but not the only one. That mom that buries the things that make me uniquely me.

Heels are what I would choose to wear if I didn't have to carry my daughter around, or push a stroller, or chase after baseballs. But since I do that every day, I have to reserve heels for dinner out with girlfriends, or church, or date night with hubbie. And at that moment, that heel took on a whole new meaning. That heel became symbolic of the age old struggle that moms have had throughout the generations...that struggle to wholeheartedly throw yourself into mothering without wholeheartedly throwing yourself out. I could almost hear the music rising to a crescendo as the voices of moms past urged me to fight the battle anew. So with that soundtrack blaring in my head, I put on my heels. And I ran. And I threw baseballs. And I wiped noses. And I mothered. And I was in pain. So much pain. But I felt like me.


5 comments:

  1. sweet post sue! looking forward to following your blog! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, love this post! :) Way to be yourself (great photo, too)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lady's gotta do what a lady's gotta do! I'm glad you're writing.. I told Ellie how much I'm entertained by you and your stories (I'm a lurker!). You have such a way with words! But when I first saw this picture, I immediately thought you wanted help with your damaged heels. haha... http://www.smartheel.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) loved the post. though i really should wear flats more for the sake of my knees not giving out before i turn 35, i can't do it! heels, not diamonds, are a girl's best friend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is great! I'm a new mom and just learned a invaluable lesson! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete